OOP Survivor Blog

Four women and five children die every day in the U.S. due to domestic violence. Read President Barack Obama's Presidential Proclamation announcing his commitment to reducing the prevalence of domestic violence in our country.

Sunday, September 5, 2010

A September weekend in Sedona brings hope to a healing heart

I am in an incredible place right now - one of the most beautiful spots in Arizona. I decided to spend the weekend in Sedona for a little escape and to be surrounded by the stunning red mountains during this long Labor Day weekend.

The last time I was here was exactly a year ago with my then-husband. It's hard to believe that it was only a year ago that I was in this gorgeous place, and that there have been so many hellish and traumatic events that have happened since then. At that time, during that Sedona get-away a year ago, there had been a few hints of what was to come, but for the most part I was oblivious. I was still caught up in loving the man I thought he was and in total denial of the slip-ups in his facade that he'd so masterfully created for me. Denial was such an easy path to follow back then.

Now, looking back, I'm still sad. And I wish I wasn't still so sad. But I tell myself that it's only been about a couple of months since we settled and I put the ugly, sordid Order of Protection case behind me. I guess I'm expected to still be sad. I mean, my heart was not just broken but smashed into a bunch of tiny pieces that I've gradually been putting together.

My heart will heal. I can feel it at times when there is a glimmer of hope, like yesterday when I discovered a new hiking trail that I never knew existed. I hiked for two hours, stumbling upon incredible views of the side of a burning red mountain, or random patches of prickly pear cactus in total bloom. Every time a smile came to my face with each discovery at a turn in the trail, I felt in my heart that things are getting better. I know it will take more time, but any kind of recovery requires patience. And most of all, time.


2 comments:

  1. Keep moving forward, leave the shit behind you and things will get better!! :)

    Alex

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Alex! I appreciate the encouragement.

    Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete